Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kale Chips

A kalerrifc how-to post from Christie Haigh:

"If you like crunchy salty food like I do, you might like baked kale chips. Really, I am serious, give it a try. You might be surprised...

"[Buy the] curly variety that is known to be less bitter. Pull of pieces, leaving the central stalk. I usually make about as much as will fit in my large salad spinner.

"Put the pieces on a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. From here you can either toss with extra virgin olive oil or spray the kale with cooking spray for a lower fat version. Season with your choice of seasoning. I have used kosher salt in the past. Today I used taco seasoning. Other times I have also sprinkled parmesan cheese.

"Bake for about 15 minutes at 375°F, until edges are brown and kale is crispy when moved in pan.

"My youngest daughter Violet enjoying a kale chip. She always asks for more. The big girls finally got curious enough to try some after seeing us eat it several times. They like to dip them in ketchup and now eat them regularly."

6 comments:

Anju said...

YUM! What a great idea! I can't wait to try it ^_^

Melissa said...

Great idea Christie! I'll be trying it this weekend after my trip to Trader Joes :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this!!

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea. I've been hearing about these a lot on other blogs.

Liz said...

Is it sad that my first thought is "how do they taste with cheese sauce?" Seriously though, awesome!

Marti said...

I just made these. My ten year old, whose only vegetable to like has been corn, tried a kale chip....and liked it. Are you kidding me? He liked it! I could kiss you I'm so excited.