Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sunny Wholegrain Sushi


I hesitated on posting that last lovely picture. What are your thoughts on sushi? It's a healthy choice for some, but I believe my love of vegan sushi veers into the realm of unhealthy obsession; regular sushi rice is made with lots of salt and sugar, and I'll eat it until I'm ill.

If you're like me, you may want to check out my recipe for this Sunny Wholegrain Sushi, a sugar- and salt-free mixture of brown rice, millet, and amaranth flavored with lemon and sunflower seeds. It makes a good alternative to white sushi rice for us crazed sugar monkeys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of making some kind of whole-grain sushi soon. I've only had it with regular sushi rice so far. I'll give your recipe a try!

Anju said...

Mmm this would be good with some homemade bean sprouts too ^_^

kelli said...

when i was transitioning, i used to eat A LOT of take-out sushi. i cut back, but then read that vegans should be sure to get enough iodine in their diets. a good source - nori wraps. i feel as long you cut out the added sugar and salt (maybe just use a pure rice vinegar) and use whole grains instead of white rice, veggie rolls can be a very healthy meal. plus it's so much fun to make your own!

Ruthie said...

I make sushi with any leftover grain-nut-seed mix. It just tastes great wrapped up in nori and drizzled with wasabi soy sauce. :-)