Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Resolution Success!

Jennifer in Toronto writes, "This is me at my gym after my final weigh-in for 2009. I'm 38 and have been a vegetarian for close to 20 years...but after years of zero exercise and terrible food choices, I'd put on (gulp) 120 lbs. I was feeling pretty hopeless about it over the holidays a year ago and didn't know how to make a change. Until January 2/09 when my 9-year-old son invited me to join his upcoming kendo (martial arts) class. It's an all ages class, but he'd found out that he was going to be the only student under 20 and wanted some company. I was terrified to sign up, but how could I say no to my boy? The first class was a lot of fun but really difficult given my level of un-fitness. I joined a gym the next day, resolving to work in 3 workouts before the next week's class...and another 3 before the third class...and so on. I did it!

"Towards the end of January, the gym announced that they were starting up free (free!) classes on healthy eating and I signed up.

"Never thought I'd have the willpower to overhaul my eating habits, but I did. Never thought I'd have the willpower to hit the gym faithfully week after week, but I did. Never thought I'd find myself ditching the elevator at work in favor of taking the stairs to the seventh floor...but I have.

"Long story short...I made exercise and healthy eating a habit in 2009, and have dropped more than half the weight. As of my post-holiday weigh-in today, I've lost 65lbs and close to 40". Only 55lbs more to go...

Couldn't have done it without a ton of support from family, friends and the ladies at the gym. I also wanted to thank you for starting This Is Why You're Thin! The posts have been inspirations, and very helpful for keeping me on track."

Thank you, Jennifer! I think you are inspiring many people in turn with your story and this post!

Happy New Year, everyone!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Awesome!

~yolanda said...

Congratulations!!

ac said...

Wow, that's actually inspiring me RIGHT. NOW.